YOUTH ACADEMYTargetted support for promising coach/athlete pairs.
Athletics NI’s “Youth Academy” programme aims to nurture the development of promising young athletes as they negotiate their teenage years. It aims to assist selected athletes and their coaches by providing targeted support and mentoring as they progress along the path to success. The Youth Academy is a stepping stone towards international representation and sustained senior success.
The goals for the Youth Academy programme are to:
Programme Features & Benefits
- Movement assessment and report
- Weekly physical preparation sessions at University of Ulster Jordanstown High Performance Centre (UUJHPC)
- Indoor track access at UUJHPC
- Lifestyle, Nutrition and Anti-Doping workshops
- Competition support (depending on performance standard)
- Advice on preparation for University scholarship programmes
- 13 night training trip in Portugal will be available be available to 24 selected athletes in April 2017 (http://nifutures.com/team-blog/inspiring-youth-…-erasmus-funding/)
- Financial support to complete British Athletics Event Group Qualifications
- Athlete movement assessment and detailed report highlighting potential areas for improvement
- Mentoring and support to address highlighted movement issues
- All coaches are encouraged to attend and actively participate in weekly physical preparation sessions at UUJ HPC
- Free access to the Youth Academy Coaches Network and associated events. These cover a number of topics including Olympic Weightlifting, Lifestyle, Nutrition and Anti-doping.
- Support with annual planning (if required)
Athlete & Coach Views
What Athletes & Coaches have to say about Youth Academy
“I joined the Youth Academy programme in 2015. The Youth Academy sessions have helped me learn more about executing my drills, plyometrics and warm up correctly and the coaches helped my Dad (coach) to improve my event techniques. Through Youth Academy I was also introduced to strength training in the gym this year which has helped me to progress. I have learned technique for front squats, pull ups, step ups etc. All of this helped me prepare for the European Youth Championships in Georgia this year were I was very happy to come 7th with 5559 points in my 2nd ever heptathlon.”
“I have improved my UK ranking this year in the 110m Hurdles from 42nd to 5th and feel the support I have received through the Youth Academy has helped me to improve my athleticism and level of physical preparation. The movement screening at the beginning of the year helped me to identify my strengths & weakness and set clear goals with my coach for my training programme.”Ben Fisher
My son James (T20) has really benefited from the coaching he has received from Youth Academy. The assessment of his running style and subsequent exercises tailored to improving his strength in certain areas has been very beneficial and resulted in improving his running times and ability to train with faster athletes. This improved consistency in James’ running resulted in selection for the GB team to the IPC European Athletics Championships in 2016 (1500m.)Peter & Angela Hamilton
2017-18 Youth Academy Members
Athletes, Coaches and Clubs (coming soon.)
Youth Academy 2017 Highlights
Youth Academy 2016 Highlights
Introduction Prior to the 2015/2016 season the Athletics NI performance athletes had access to a set of bookings put in place by SINI. As this is no longer the case we have booked a limited amount of track time so that these athletes have some options for indoor...
On Tuesday 3 November 2015, Youth Academy athletes, their parents and coaches were invited to an evening to provide guidance on becoming a student athlete. The slides from the evening planned by Laura Kerr & Tom Reynolds can be found below DOWNLOAD “Becoming...
A. 10min Soft tissue release -use of rollers /bands/lacrosse balls to focus on increasing ROM around hips and glutes Adductor roll-30 secs each Couch stretch-30 secs each side Glute stretch-30 secs each side Hip roll-1min each side B. Monster walks with mini bands...
General Physical Preparation (On Track) A.Soft tissue release (1 min each) Foam roll pecs Foam roll t spine Foam roll adductors B.Hurdle Hip Mobility (6) Forward Left x2 Forward right x2 Over under x2 each side C. Gymnastics Hot footed lizard 2x45s Push up to prone...
Introduction In 2014/2015 Athletics Northern Ireland began trialling physical competence screenings with Youth Academy Athletes. Following the success of the trial these physical competency screenings are now a standard option available to all athletes selected for...